Breast cancer is a complex disease with no simple solution. Every diagnosis is unique and puts lives at risk. We must stop breast cancer in its tracks, and research is the answer.
Founded in 1993 by Evelyn H. Lauder, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation is the largest private funder of breast cancer research in the world. We invest in a wide range of research—prevention, diagnosis, treatment, survivorship, and metastasis—because each area of investigation informs another, propelling us toward the solutions we urgently need.
We convene and connect the best minds in science—giving them the opportunity to pursue their most innovative ideas. Our combination of investment and cross-disciplinary collaboration accelerates the entire field and builds momentum for new discoveries. BCRF-funded investigators have been behind every major breakthrough in breast cancer research, and the field is moving faster than ever. We can’t stop now.
With you, and the entire BCRF community, we are fueling the world’s most promising research. Join us—together, we will bring the end of breast cancer into focus.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Philanthropy Officer is responsible for raising essential funds to advance BCRF’s lifesaving mission and partnering to continue strengthening BCRF’s donor base for the organization’s long-term success.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Philanthropy and Major Gifts on the Development and Events team,
the Philanthropy Officer will join in discovery work to identify donors with the potential for increased support, manage a portfolio, solicit leadership and major gifts, collaborate with colleagues and volunteer leaders in pursuit of this shared mission, and partner to take individual giving at BCRF to new heights.
Building on a robust annual giving and premier fundraising events model, BCRF seeks new opportunities to drive significant revenue to fund critical breast cancer research globally. This is an ideal job for a motivated self-starter with development/fundraising experience and an entrepreneurial approach who seeks to make an immediate impact while continuing to grow in a collaborative, supportive environment.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Actively manage and expand a portfolio of current and prospective donors (target size: 150), increasing engagement and giving.
- Create and lead individualized strategies for the identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of prospects for leadership, major, and legacy gifts, initially focusing on mid-to-high five-figure requests with the potential to raise six- and seven-figure gifts.
- Serve as an effective representative for BCRF and its funding priorities.
- Collaborate with Development, Communications, and Research team colleagues to draft funding overviews, proposals, and stewardship reports and to develop other cultivation and stewardship materials.
- Partner with peers, senior leaders, and board members as needed on individual donor engagement, solicitation, and stewardship to secure the best, most impactful gifts. Provide briefings and otherwise participate in and/or support donor conversations with colleagues and volunteers.
- Serve as a strategic partner to the Senior Director of Philanthropy and Major Gifts and the Development Associate in coordinating BCRF’s major gifts program.
- Foster positive, productive collegial relationships within the Development and Events team and across the Foundation, supporting coordination and collaboration between departments.
- Special development-related projects and other duties as assigned.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- The massive—and very real—impact that we make every day;
- How to accelerate our work through our talented team; and,
- How to operate within a successful nonprofit that punches well above our weight.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- 3 – 5 years of development/fundraising experience or more
- Undergraduate degree or commensurate educational experience
This role may be for you if you:
- Believe in BCRF’s mission
- Have a keen interest in related research and conveying your enthusiasm for the lifesaving promise of science to others
- Enjoy donor outreach and the entirety of the donor cycle—from discovery, identification, and qualification, to the realization of philanthropic goals
Ideally, you will bring the following to the role:
- Successful track record of soliciting and closing five-figure gifts or greater
- Superior written and oral communication skills to express the mission and fundraising goals of BCRF with clarity and passion and to persuade
- Basic knowledge of legacy/planned giving
- Flexibility and strong sense of initiative and resourcefulness
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills including listening skills
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality and professional conduct with donor audiences
- Attention to detail, strong organizational and project management skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Proficiency with donor databases, Raiser’s Edge/NXT preferred
While performing the duties of this role, you would regularly work in a hybrid remote/in-office NYC arrangement.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk, and hear.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. There will be occasional need to work extra hours on evenings and weekends to fulfill the requirements of the role, particularly during BCRF fundraising event seasons.
Some travel is required for this role. Donor work and in-person events may involve evening or weekend time.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume with the subject line Philanthropy Officer to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates who share both why they’re a good fit and their salary expectations are more likely to qualify. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. All inquiries will be held in confidence.
The compensation range for this role is $90,000-$110,000 annually along with an exceptional benefits package focusing on employee physical, financial, and mental wellness.
Please note this role description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this role. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
BCRF is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Disabled/Veterans Equal Opportunity Employer.
BCRF upholds an equal opportunity employment policy and employs personnel without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
This policy applies to all applicants, employees, consultants, third-party workers.