Breast cancer is a complex disease with no simple solution. Every diagnosis is unique and puts lives at risk. We must stop breast cancer in its tracks, and research is the answer.
Founded in 1993 by Evelyn H. Lauder, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation is the largest private funder of breast cancer research in the world. We invest in a wide range of research—prevention, diagnosis, treatment, survivorship, and metastasis—because each area of investigation informs another, propelling us toward the solutions we urgently need.
We convene and connect the best minds in science—giving them the opportunity to pursue their most innovative ideas. Our combination of investment and cross-disciplinary collaboration accelerates the entire field and builds momentum for new discoveries. BCRF-funded investigators have been behind every major breakthrough in breast cancer research, and the field is moving faster than ever. We can’t stop now.
With you, and the entire BCRF community, we are fueling the world’s most promising research. Join us—together, we will bring the end of breast cancer into focus. Learn more and get involved at BCRF.org.
ABOUT THE COMMUNICATIONS TEAM
The Communications and Engagement team drives increased awareness and visibility of BCRF’s mission and leadership through:
- The development and curation of the BCRF brand identity and campaign;
- Public relations and media outreach;
- A content and marketing strategy for all digital channels, including email, social media, video/podcasts and bcrf.org; and, BCRF publications, including a bi-annual newsletter and annual report.
Additionally, the team leads engagement through direct and Peer-to-Peer fundraising along with other digital strategies, raising more than $7 million online annually.
The team serves as a strategic partner for all departments across the Foundation to facilitate powerful marketing and communications efforts for the Development and Events, Corporate Partnerships and Research teams.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Senior Manager, Communications serves a critical role in the execution of BCRF’s communications and engagement strategy, and reports to the Managing Director of Communications.
The Senior Manager works cross-departmentally to:
- direct media relations for BCRF events
- support press efforts for corporate partners and Foundation thought leadership
- help create engaging content across all verticles
- facilitate the production of collateral across the Foundation
Primary responsibilities include:
Public Relations: Manage Foundation PR efforts including:
- Events: Working with the Development & Events team and agency partners to create and implement strategies for all signature, regional and other fundraising events including:
- pre-event support (driving agency partners and vendors including photo/video, leading press communications, creating spokesperson and ambassador talking points, identifying potential ambassadors and event guests);
- crafting and disseminating calendar listings and pitches regarding events and honorees to garner coverage of flagship and regional events
- onsite management (supporting agency partners, photo/videographers, and red carpet, ensuring BCRF materials such as step-and-repeats, face books, and shot sheets are available);
- post-event follow-up (media tracking and analysis reports, assisting in donor, VIP, media and vendor follow-up, including photo sourcing and delivery);
- managing and/or facilitating all press outreach for select events
- Independent Fundraisers: Pitching BCRF fundraisers to local news outlets in key markets across the U.S.
- Shop Pink Program: Collaborating with the Corporate Partnerships team to aid in the promotion of BCRF’s Shop Pink program and other partner-related needs, including assisting in media events, creating and implementing an influencer engagement strategy, crafting program-specific collateral and copy while coordinating the fulfillment of partner-related requests
- Research: Assist in securing media opportunities and responding to deadline-driven press inquiries and requests; identifying appropriate media stories and pitching BCRF spokespeople for commentary; producing all necessary media interview prep documents. Flag articles featuring BCRF or relevant breast cancer stories to inform PR efforts and strategies
Publications and Editorial: Assist with and facilitate editorial projects across verticals by:
- Identifying appropriate event-related stories (featuring honorees or major donors) for bi-annual newsletter, annual report and website, as well as other external communications materials (i.e. BCRF’s podcast)
- Assisting in the production of BCRF’s bi-annual newsletter, annual report and other publications
- Providing proofreading and copyediting support for various communications projects and collateral
- Regularly providing timely updates across BCRF to key stakeholders in advance of promotion of events, key donors, corporate partners and researchers
Digital: Assist with maintenance of website, update copy for event pages and content as needed and requested, ensuring updated photo galleries for BCRF events and independent fundraisers by:
- Creating social media toolkits for event attendees and ambassadors and coordinating social media editorial calendars with the digital team
- Adding blog articles, including press releases and podcast updates to the website using the CMS tool
Brand Campaign: Assist in the creation of brand and storytelling campaigns by:
- Identifying influencers and others impacted by breast cancer for BCRF brand campaigns and other storytelling initiatives
- Supporting activities related to the production of BCRF brand campaigns, including participant outreach and cultivation, and photo shoots as needed
Plus, potential additional duties as the team seeks to achieve its ambitious goals.
What you’ll learn:
- The massive – and very real – impact that we make every day;
- How to accelerate our work through our talented team; and
- How to operate within a successful not-for-profit that punches well above our weight.
This role coordinates and works with every member of the Communications team, serves as primary contact for cross-departmental requests from the Development & Events team and manages various agency partners and vendors.
The ideal candidate will have experience in client-facing roles and will be a self-starter with a strong work ethic, superb communication and organizational skills, and the ability to prioritize, problem-solve and multi-task under deadline.
The ideal candidate will be extremely responsive, an enthusiastic consumer of all media (print, web, broadcast), passionate about mission-driven causes, a positive team player with the drive, ambition, know-how, and creativity necessary to help advance team efforts while managing ongoing projects and administrative tasks simultaneously.
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing, or related field
- 7 – 10 years applicable experience working in media relations at an agency or as in-house communications for a company or non-profit organization, particularly those hosting large scale events
- Excellent writing and editing skills – samples will be requested as well as completion of an edit test
- Strong communications skills
- Thorough research and analytical skills
- Extremely detail-oriented with project management skills and experience
- Knowledge of working in Cision
- Experience working within a CMS
- Experience working on social media platforms and tools utilized for those platforms
Given this role, the incumbent must be able to deliver communications support at events taking place at night and occasionally on weekends (with advance notice); occasional travel required.
While performing the duties of this role, you would regularly work in a hybrid remote/in-office NYC arrangement.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk, and hear.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. There will be occasional need to work extra hours on evenings and weekends to fulfill the requirements of the role, particularly during BCRF fundraising event seasons.
Some travel is required for this role.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume with the subject line Sr Manager Communications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates who share both why they’re a good fit and their salary expectations are more likely to qualify. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. All inquiries will be held in confidence.
The compensation range for this role is $75,000-$85,000 annually along with an exceptional benefits package focusing on employee physical, financial and mental wellness.
Please note this role description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this role. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
BCRF is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Disabled/Veterans Equal Opportunity Employer.
BCRF upholds an equal opportunity employment policy and employs personnel without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
This policy applies to all applicants, employees, consultants, third-party workers.