Breast cancer is a complex disease with no simple solution. Every diagnosis is unique and puts lives at risk. We must stop breast cancer in its tracks, and research is the answer.
Founded in 1993 by Evelyn H. Lauder, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation is the largest private funder of breast cancer research in the world. We invest in a wide range of research—from prevention, diagnosis, treatment, survivorship, and metastasis—because each area of investigation informs another, propelling us toward the solutions we urgently need.
We convene and connect the best minds in science—giving them the opportunity to pursue their most innovative ideas. Our combination of investment and cross-disciplinary collaboration accelerates the entire field and builds momentum for new discoveries. BCRF-funded investigators have been behind every major breakthrough in breast cancer research, and the field is moving faster than ever. We can’t stop now.
With you, and the entire BCRF community, we are fueling the world’s most promising research. Join us—together, we will bring the end of breast cancer into focus. Learn more and get involved at BCRF.org.
ABOUT THE ROLE
BCRF’s Social Media Manager is the voice of BCRF across all social media platforms.
She/he/they is responsible for planning, implementing, managing, and monitoring BCRF’s social strategy and presence to increase brand awareness, drive fundraising, educate supporters, and create a safe and supportive community.
BCRF’s Social Media Manager should be a compelling wordsmith with a journalist’s rigor and discernment, who is savvy enough with the soundbite world—and creative enough with the relevant content/video creation apps—to develop engaging storytelling and expertly repackage it across all of BCRF’s social channels.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Digital, this role is responsible for content creation and execution across:
The Social Media Manager is tasked with continuously improving the quality, quantity, and performance of our social content by constantly innovating, monitoring—and increasing—engagement, and using various analytic reporting tools to fine-tune strategy. Expert copywriting and editorial skills are a must.
Candidates should be current on news and trends, energized to inspire donors, extremely engaged in social media, and sensitive to the realities of breast cancer. Passion and/or experience in women’s health, journalism, digital media, and fundraising are a plus.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Collaborate across BCRF departments and with the associate director of digital on BCRF’s editorial calendar and own management of social publishing schedule
- Leverage appropriate tools to manage content publishing across social channels
- Create and publish original, mission-relevant, high-quality, and engaging content
- Curate BCRF science news and repackage in digestible formats for small donor supporters
- Connect with thrivers and their families for first-person storytelling opportunities
- Leverage BCRF’s scientific advisory board and grantees, thought leaders, and ambassadors to find novel ways to tell BCRF’s story
- Facilitate Instagram takeovers, host Facebook Live/Instagram Live events, and create Instagram Reels and TikToks
- Report from scientific conferences and cover “Pink Carpet” fundraising events (virtual or in-person) for BCRF’s blog and social channels
- Ensure that content topics—and people depicted within BCRF’s imagery—are diverse in race/ethnicity, age, gender, breast cancer subtypes, body types, and socio-economic backgrounds
- Ardently guard and follow the authoritative, fact-forward, and sensitive tone established by BCRF—ensuring that every post is mindful of our commitment to avoid common pitfalls: pinkwashing, insensitivity to the metastatic community, inappropriate use of “battle language,” concerns around “awareness” efforts, and more
- Plan campaigns and calls-to-action to build community online
- Track trends within each platform to understand which forms of content are prioritized and to create/shape BCRF’s social material accordingly
- Select content most appropriate to boost with paid promotion
- Write content with search engine optimization in mind
- Monitor online conversations and posts regarding BCRF and its mission—always looking for ways to ensure the integrity and health of BCRF’s brand reputation
- Engage with supporters, peer-to-peer fundraisers, and corporate partners to cheer them on, thank them for their support, answer questions, and address concerns
- Identify influencers who have an authentic interest in promoting BCRF’s mission and research
- Monitor and manage messages through BCRF’s social inboxes (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) and comments on all platforms
- Create social media toolkits for partners, gamers, independent fundraisers, and others to help them spread the word around BCRF’s mission and research
- Find creative and appropriate ways to weave fundraising prompts throughout our social content
- Develop content that inspires supporters to take part in matching gift programs, independent fundraising, and Facebook activity challenges
- Use BCRF’s social platforms to amplify the organization’s mission, differentiate BCRF from other organizations in the breast cancer space, educate the public on our high ratings and investment in research, and build the foundation for trust that leads to donations
Analytics & Channel Growth
- Set the key performance indicators that matter most to BCRF’s success and chart progress using available analytics tools
- Drive quality audience growth, engagement, and reach year over year
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- The massive—and very real—impact that we make every day;
- How to accelerate our work through our talented team; and
- How to operate within a successful not-for-profit that punches well above our weight.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- 2 to 5 years’ experience working in social media, journalism, digital media, or scientific communications
- Bachelor's degree (with a major in English, communications, journalism, new media, science, or a related field is a plus)
This role may be for you if you are:
- A thinker and a do-er
- A “digital thinker” with a proven track record of developing, curating, and executing a variety of content across social media and online platforms, including text, photo, graphics, and video
- A critical thinker accustomed to working and problem-solving thoughtfully in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with audience segmentation and ability to anticipate and target communications to a variety of audiences—general public, health and science sector, media, NGOs, etc.
Ability to use these tools of our trade:
- MailChimp (CRM)
- Sprout Social (social media management/analytics platform)
- Photoshop and Canva
- Microsoft Office
A strong writer with:
- Superior copywriting and editorial skills
- Science and health writing experience (a BIG plus!)
- The ability to write and speak en Español is desirable but not required
Ideally, you will also bring:
- A genuine interest in the non-profit space, social activism, and women’s health
- Social media expertise with deep knowledge of current industry best practices
- A proactive, client-service approach to working collaboratively, and a genuine eagerness to grow professionally and personally
- Passion, positivity, and a desire to build community and help others
While performing the duties of this role, you would regularly work in a hybrid remote/in-office NYC arrangement
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk, and hear.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position.
Given the nature of this particular role and the pre-planned calendar of conferences and events, the incumbent should expect to attend two four-day scientific conferences and our BCRF fundraising events, whether virtual or in-person. In-person events may involve evening, overnight, or weekend time.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume with the subject line: Social Media Manager to email@example.com. Candidates who share both why they’re a good fit and their salary expectations are more likely to qualify. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. All inquiries will be held in confidence.
The compensation range for this role is $70,000 - $75,000 annually along with an exceptional benefits package focusing on employee physical, financial and mental wellness.
Please note this role description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this role. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
BCRF IS proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans.
The BCRF upholds an equal opportunity employment policy and employs personnel without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
This policy applies to all applicants, employees, consultants, and third-party workers.