Founded by Evelyn H. Lauder in 1993, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF) is dedicated to being the end of breast cancer by advancing the world's most promising research. BCRF-funded investigators have been deeply involved in every major breakthrough in breast cancer prevention, diagnosis, treatment, survivorship and metastasis. BCRF is the largest private funder of breast cancer research worldwide, and the highest-rated breast cancer organization in the U.S. This year, BCRF will invest $66 million in new awards to investigators at leading academic and medical institutions around the world.
ABOUT THE COMMUNICATIONS TEAM
The Communications and Engagement team drives increased awareness and visibility of BCRF’s mission and leadership through:
- The development and curation of the BCRF brand identity and campaign;
- Public relations and media outreach;
- A content and marketing strategy for all digital channels, including email, social media, video/podcasts and bcrf.org; and, BCRF publications, including a bi-annual newsletter and annual report.
Additionally, the team drives engagement through direct and Peer-to-Peer fundraising along with other digital strategies, raising $6 million online annually.
The team serves as a strategic partner for all departments across the Foundation to facilitate powerful marketing and communications efforts for the Development and Events, Corporate Partnerships and Research teams.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Communications Assistant serves a critical role in the execution of BCRF’s communications and engagement strategy, and reports to the Managing Director of Communications.
The Assistant is also accountable to the Chief Communications and Engagement Officer, helping manage projects across the entire team, providing project management and administrative support, as well as assisting with media relations, special events, content creation, and the facilitation of digital and print communications across the Foundation.
Primary responsibilities include:
Administrative: Serve as the foundation for the team’s administrative responsibilities such as coordination with ambassadors, vendors, expenses and reporting, team scheduling, or coordinating travel as needed.
Internal facilitation: Serve as a trusted internal liaison between the Communications team and all other departments to facilitate, service and prioritize communications needs across BCRF events and channels. For example:
- Event Support: Working with the Development and Events team to provide a variety of support, including pre-event (managing and driving timelines, drafting press communications, shot lists, face books); onsite assistance (managing photographers and red carpet and local and regional events); and post-event (media tracking, assisting in donor, VIP, media and vendor follow-up)
- Corporate Partner Shop Pink Program: Collaborating Shop Pink and other partner-related needs, including assisting in media events, influencer gifting, crafting program-specific collateral and copy while coordinating the fulfillment of partner-related requests
- Research Team: Facilitating the production of digital and print content needs, annual event support and communications coverage at major conference, which may require travel and attendance a few times a year
- Assist Foundation PR efforts including:
- Monitor and report all BCRF press mentions and breast cancer media coverage, and provide regular reports of coverage and impressions
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date BCRF media tracker on a regular basis
- Flag articles featuring BCRF or relevant breast cancer stories
- Assist in identifying appropriate media contacts via Cision and create updated lists for ongoing media outreach
- Assist in securing media opportunities and responding to deadline-driven press inquiries and requests:
- Manage the press inbox to ensure inquiries are reviewed and responded to
- Aid in outreach for specific media opportunities/pitches (e.g., Shop Pink pitches at appropriate times throughout the year)
- Manage and help coordinate the recruitment and cultivation of BCRF Ambassadors
- Independently identify, cultivate and maintain a robust relationship with BCRF ambassadors (i.e., identify possible guests at events, social media ambassadors and/or participants in BCRF campaigns)
- Create and maintain a current and potential ambassador and spokesperson database, ensuring each person’s records are complete and accurate
- Disseminate relevant follow-up information/news to and about ambassadors on a timely basis
- Aid in the production and distribution of PSAs
- Coordinate Ambassador participation
- Coordinate PSA production specs with creative team and delivery within deadlines
Editorial: Maintain content calendar and assist with editorial projects across BCRF verticals:
- Contribute story ideas and maintain content calendar for biannual newsletter, annual report and website as well as other external communications materials
- Manage and maintain website, update copy and content proactively as needed and requested, including photo galleries for BCRF events and independent fundraisers, and stock photo research for blogs and social posts
- Facilitate the timely advance communication of key editorial moments to all appropriate BCRF teams
- Maintain and review overall communications editorial calendar with contributors and stakeholders to help develop blog ideas and contribute to the writing process
- Provide proofreading and copyediting support for various communications projects
Asset management: Independently organize and manage the archiving and filing of all communications and marketing materials, serving as the primary point of contact for staff or partners needing BCRF assets
- Ensure files are organized, maintained and easy to access. Provide regular updates on changes and additions
- Manage inventory of marketing materials to ensure maximum use and accurate content, and manage production in the most cost-effective way
Plus, potential additional duties as the team seeks to achieve its ambitious goals.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- The massive – and very real – impact that we make every day;
- How to accelerate our work through our talented team; and
- How to operate within a successful not-for-profit that punches well above our weight.
This role is foundational to the entire Communications and Engagement Team so it is critical that the Assistant is a nimble team player who is adept in a fast-paced environment and able to assist across all team needs, while maintaining a level of independence, on-the-fly problem-solving, and the ability to identify opportunities for improvement and efficiency.
This role coordinates and works with every member of the Communications team as well as serves as primary contact for cross-departmental requests. The ideal candidate will have experience in client-facing roles and will be a self-starter with a strong work ethic, superb communication and organizational skills, and the ability to prioritize, problem-solve and multi-task under deadline.
People would describe the ideal candidate as an enthusiastic consumer of all media (print, web, broadcast), a positive team player with the drive, ambition, know-how, and creativity necessary to help advance team efforts. They’d cite high energy personality, excellent judgment, and someone who can make things happen, and an ability to do administrative tasks well while managing on-going projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing, or related field
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong communications skills
- Thorough research and analytical skills
- Project management skills
- Proficiency with PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe Creative Cloud
- Ability to deliver communications support at events taking place at night and occasionally on weekends (with advance notice); occasional travel required
Nice to haves:
- Agency experience
- Familiarity with content management systems and email service providers
While performing the duties of this role, you would regularly work in an office setting.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk and hear.
This is a full-time position on our team.
Please note this role description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
If you’ve read this far, you’re likely a great fit for us…. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we’d love to hear about it in your cover letter.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary expectations by February 17, 2020 to:
using the following subject line: Comms Assistant: [your last name]
Please no phone calls.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
All inquiries will be held in confidence.
BCRF IS proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans.
The BCRF upholds an equal opportunity employment policy and employs personnel without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
This policy applies to all applicants, employees, consultants, third-party workers.
In addition, the BCRF will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements.