- Why Research
- Our Impact
- Get Involved
- About BCRF
- Research is the reason
- Contact Us
- The Hot Pink Party
You are here
Director, Business Development
Interested in learning, doing, and being a key part of the cure for breast cancer - and doing it through the power of corporate partnerships?
Here at BCRF, we are inspired to achieve our mission: to prevent and cure breast cancer by advancing the world's most promising research. We bring a rigor to our mission and are proud to be the highest-rated breast cancer organization in the U.S. and the largest private funder of breast cancer research in the world.
BCRF’s Partnerships’ Director, Business Development is a key strategic role on BCRF’s Partnerships team responsible for identifying and closing strategic partnership deals across lifestyle, health and wellness, gaming, travel, emerging brands and category disruptors. This role is part of a dynamic and high performing team and is expected to have a big impact. On day one, you should be ready to prospect and pitch new partnerships in supporting of BCRF and its mission to fuel the research engine of 275 game changers in breast cancer research. This position reports to the Managing Director, Partnerships and is based in New York City, NY.
BCRF's Partnerships team
BCRF’s Partnerships Team oversees brand partnerships, sponsorships, licensing, consumer products, retail partnerships, digital platform collaborations, gaming and other alliances. The Partnerships Team leads one of the largest cause marketing partnerships portfolios in the U.S. with 100+ world-class partners. This dedicated impact division provides a vital revenue engine to fuel the global game changers in cancer science and medicine.
The BCRF Story
The Breast Cancer Research Foundation is a nonprofit organization committed to achieving prevention and a cure for breast cancer. We provide critical funding for cancer research worldwide to fuel advances in tumor biology, genetics, prevention, treatment, metastasis and survivorship. In 2019-2020, BCRF will award $66 million in annual grants to 275 scientists from top universities and medical institutions around the globe.
In addition, BCRF has established the Evelyn H. Lauder Founder’s Fund, a multi-year international program dedicated to metastasis that is the first large-scale global effort to unravel the biology of metastasis, with more than $30 million earmarked to date. It is the largest privately funded project exclusively focused on metastasis in the world. But we still have more to do.
The thousands of women and men impacted by breast cancer today depend on us. No institution can conquer this disease alone. Together, we can.
About the Role
We are seeking a rainmaker who can identify, negotiate and close partnerships that will drive significant revenue to fuel BCRF’s mission of research.
- In partnership with the Chief Partnerships Officer and Managing Director, Partnerships, the Director, Business Development will establish a clear vision, roadmap and go to sales strategy to deliver against revenue objectives.
- Identify, develop, negotiate and close high profile and high impact revenue brand partnerships with brands and companies who are a fit for BCRF and aligned with its mission.
- Ensure all stakeholders are aligned on measurable KPIs prior to deals closing to ensure partnership expectations are thoughtfully managed.
- Be on the forefront of partnership/cause marketing, advocating best practices and driving innovation by capitalizing on BCRF’s suite of partner offerings including BCRF’s sports affiliate, Play for PINK and Next Gen affiliate, The Pink Agenda.
- Build and maintain a pipeline of new business prospects and develop and maintain strong relationships with key decision makers
- Fully manage the end-to-end process from business development, negotiations, execution and transitioning to account management
- Collaborate cross-functionally with BCRF team members to drive solutions and opportunities for BCRF Partnerships
- Develop impactful, relevant and topical case studies that tell the partnership story and highlights BCRF’s value proposition
- Represent prospective partners point of view internally with Board of Directors, senior leadership, peers and stakeholders at BCRF.
What You'll Learn
- The massive – and very real – impact that we make every day;
- How to accelerate our work through our talented team; and
- How to operate within a successful not-for-profit that punches well above our weight.
You bring a dynamic combination of IQ and EQ, an ability to think strategically and executive tactically, and strong interpersonal skills to maximize value in partnership negotiations. You are, essentially, a business athlete with ambition and drive, capable of closing significant partnership revenue to fuel BCRF’s mission of research.
- An undergraduate degree required with at least 5-7 years of experience in business development, sell-side sponsorships, media sales and/or or cause marketing partnership sales, but we will consider candidates with less experience if they meet our requirements
- An established and authentic rolodex of decision makers across industries (VP/C-Suite level)
- A proven track record of developing, selling and executing a wide range of brand partnerships, promotional activations and cross platform relationship building
- Strong experience in navigation and ability to work well across an organizational matrix and interfacing with research, communications, operations and development functions
- Considerable experience in partnership deal negotiation, value proposition development, pitch presentation and executions
- Experience in gaming partnerships a plus
- An ability to travel for work
People would describe you as having:
- Strong attention to detail, highly entrepreneurial, creative, persistent and highly collaborative
- A high energy personality with excellent judgment that thrives in a “make it happen” culture
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills with the ability to formulate and articulate value points, and contractual requirements with partners and internal BCRF teams
- The ability to uncover and foster high level influencers across many different types of categories and brands to develop mutually beneficially partnerships
- Strong presentation, written, and verbal communications skills
While performing the duties of this role, you would regularly work in an office setting.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk and hear.
This is a full-time position on our team.
Please note this role description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
If you’ve read this far, you’re likely a great fit for us…. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we’d love to hear about it in your cover letter.
using the following subject line: Business Development: [your last name]
Please no phone calls.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
All inquiries will be held in confidence.
BCRF is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans.
The BCRF upholds an equal opportunity employment policy and employs personnel without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
This policy applies to all applicants, employees, consultants, third-party workers.
In addition, the BCRF will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements.