- Why Research
- Our Impact
- Get Involved
- About BCRF
- Research is the reason
- Contact Us
- The Hot Pink Party
You are here
Scientific Program Manager
Location: New York, NY
Founded by Evelyn H. Lauder in 1993, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF) is dedicated to being the end of breast cancer by advancing the world's most promising research. BCRF-funded investigators have been deeply involved in every major breakthrough in breast cancer prevention, diagnosis, treatment, survivorship and metastasis. BCRF is the largest private funder of breast cancer research worldwide, and the highest-rated breast cancer organization in the U.S. This year, BCRF will invest $66 million in new awards to investigators at leading academic and medical institutions around the world.
THE RESEARCH PROGRAM OVERVIEW
BCRF awards grants through a variety of award mechanisms, though its flagship program is based on annual awards to invited investigators. BCRF supports early career grants through partnerships with other nonprofit professional research societies, as well as multi-year initiatives in specific program areas. An important activity of the research program is to work with the other BCRF departments in providing scientific content to both educate the public about breast cancer research and the work of the Foundation and support fundraising and donor stewardship. Other activities of the research program include an annual research retreat for BCRF investigators held in New York City in October, focused retreats and think tanks, and various donor events throughout the year.
THE SCIENTIFIC PROGRAM MANAGER ROLE
The BCRF Scientific Program Manager (SPM) manages the scientific reporting for a selected group of BCRF’s annual grants programs, as well as special projects within the BCRF grants portfolio. The SPM reports directly to the Director, Research Programs (Director) and the Chief Scientific Officer (CSO).
In addition, the SPM works closely with the Assistant Director of Grants Administration and the Research Program Associate to ensure all administrative tasks are completed and documented as needed.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Using the online grants management system and incorporating software update into processes
- Assisting with the maintenance of the research program dashboard, historical awards tracking, preparation of Scientific Advisory Board and Board of Director documents
- Facilitating projects by maintaining regular contact with the grantees (phone calls, webinars and site visits)
- Participating in regularly scheduled team meetings and one-on-one meetings
- Representing BCRF at scientific conferences, donor events and meetings
- Overseeing intern(s) training, project execution and progress
- Assisting with maintenance and distribution of program announcements, applications, report forms, policies and procedures, grant administration standard operating procedures
- Assisting with scientific and administrative review of proposals and progress reports of research grants
- Assisting in grant execution, including intellectual property review, grant agreements and coordination of payments
- Reviewing all programmatic progress and financial reports, no cost award term extensions, and carry-forward balances
- Preparing sponsor reports and communications on project successes and impact
- Preparing annual research summaries and maintain research profiles on the BCRF website
- Monitoring publication and press releases from BCRF researchers
- Contributing to blog content and researcher interviews.
Plus other duties that may arise as the team collaborates to achieve our mission.
WHAT BCRF BRINGS TO THE FIGHT AGAINST BREAST CANCER:
BCRF is the largest nonprofit funder of breast cancer research and the top-rated charitable organization in this space. BCRF produces these results in a fast-paced, high-volume workload office with a few dozen passionate and driven staff all eager to make a difference in the fight against breast cancer.
The Research Department is a small, but dynamic team of individuals within BCRF that works to ensure that the BCRF Research Program and the investigators we support are successful in achieving the Foundation’s mission to prevent and cure breast cancer by advancing the world's most promising research.
The Research Program team works collaboratively across BCRF with staff from the communications, development and events, partnerships and finance departments. The team includes the:
- Chief Scientific Office
- Director, Research Programs
- 2 Scientific Program Managers (including this position)
- Assistant Director of Grants Administration
- Research Program Associate
- Financial and Administrative Support professional (shared)
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE ROLE:
This job might be for you if:
(1) You are motivated and driven, as demonstrated by a willingness and enthusiasm to identify and undertake new challenges that contribute to program development and/or efficiency. In this role, you will truly make a difference in the fight against breast cancer.
(2) You bring the following:
Relevant education and experience:
- An advanced scientific degree in the biomedical sciences (PhD or equivalent)
- Strong knowledge about breast cancer and cancer biology is preferred
- Program management in a non-profit (preferred) or academic research setting is a plus
- A background in applied mathematics and/or pharmacy would be helpful to specific programs
Competency with tools such as:
- Online portals and database usage, data management and analysis skills
- A high level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel (essential)
- EndNote (for tracking references)
Plus, a successful track record of:
- Communicating effectively about science to multiple stakeholders (written and verbal) including the lay public
- Demonstrating strong analytical and problem-solving skill, and an eye for details
- A bias for taking initiative and making independent, informed decisions while also working collaboratively and in partnership with multiple stakeholders
- Being highly organized and ability to set and manage multiple priorities and meet firm deadlines
- An ability to travel to key conferences (dates communicated in advance)
BCRF offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package for the right candidate.
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to:
Margaret Flowers, Ph.D.
Director, Research Programs
Candidates who share both why they’re a good fit and their salary expectations are more likely to qualify.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. All inquiries will be held in confidence.
BCRF IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION.