- Why Research
- Our Impact
- Get Involved
- About BCRF
- Research is the reason
- Contact Us
- The Hot Pink Party
You are here
Senior Manager, Communications
Location: New York, NY
THE BCRF STORY
Founded by Evelyn H. Lauder in 1993, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF) is dedicated to being the end of breast cancer by advancing the world's most promising research. BCRF-funded investigators have been deeply involved in every major breakthrough in breast cancer prevention, diagnosis, treatment, survivorship and metastasis. BCRF is the largest private funder of breast cancer research worldwide, and the highest-rated breast cancer organization in the U.S. This year, BCRF will invest $66 million in new awards to investigators at leading academic and medical institutions around the world.
ABOUT THE COMMUNICATIONS TEAM
The Communications and Engagement team drives increased awareness and visibility of BCRF’s mission and leadership through:
- The development and curation of the BCRF brand identity and campaign;
- Public relations and media outreach;
- A content and marketing strategy for all digital channels, including email, social media, video/podcasts and bcrf.org; and, BCRF publications, including a bi-annual newsletter and annual report.
Additionally, the team drives engagement through direct and Peer-to-Peer fundraising along with other digital strategies, raising $6 million online annually.
The team serves as a strategic partner for all departments across the Foundation to facilitate powerful marketing and communications efforts for the Development and Events, Corporate Partnerships and Research teams.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Senior Manager, Communications serves a critical role in the execution of BCRF’s communications and engagement strategy, and reports to the Managing Director of Communications.
The Senior Manager works cross-departmentally to:
- direct media relations for flagship events
- support press efforts for corporate partners and Foundation thought leadership
- create engaging content across all verticles
- facilitate the production of collateral across the Foundation
Primary responsibilities include:
Public Relations: Manage Foundation PR efforts including:
- Event Support: Working with the Development & Events team and agency partners to create and implement strategies for all signature, regional and other fundraising events including:
- pre-event support (driving agency partners and vendors including photo/video, leading press communications, creating talking points for VIPs, identifying potential ambassadors and event guests);
- crafting and disseminating calendar listings and pitches regarding events and honorees to garner pre and post coverage of flagship and regional events
- onsite management (supporting agency partners, photo/videographers and red carpet, ensuring BCRF materials such as step-and-repeats, face books and shot sheets are available);
- and post-event follow-up (media tracking and analysis reports, assisting in donor, VIP, media and vendor follow-up, including photo sourcing and delivery);
- as well as managing and/or facilitating all press outreach for select events
- Independent Fundraisers: Pitching regional fundraisers to local news outlets in key markets across the U.S.
- Shop Pink Program: Collaborating with the Corporate Partnerships team to aid in the promotion of BCRF’s Shop Pink program and other partner-related needs, including assisting in media events, influencer gifting, crafting program-specific collateral and copy while coordinating the fulfillment of partner-related requests
- Research: Assist in securing media opportunities and responding to deadline-driven press inquiries and requests; identifying appropriate media stories and pitching BCRF spokespeople for commentary; producing all necessary media interview prep documents. Flag articles featuring BCRF or relevant breast cancer stories to inform PR efforts and strategies
Publications and Editorial: Assist with and facilitate editorial projects across BCRF verticals by:
- Identifying appropriate event-related stories (featuring honorees or major donors) for bi-annual newsletter, annual report and website, as well as other external communications materials (i.e. BCRF’s podcast)
- Leading the production of BCRF’s bi-annual newsletter:
- outlining editorial content for each issue with contributors and stakeholders across BCRF to help develop story ideas and contribute to the writing process
- editing copy for each story and identify appropriate photos
- serving as liaison to design team and printer to facilitate production according to timeline
- Managing BCRF’s podcast speaker line-up, working in tandem with podcast producers and BCRF’s research team
- Providing proofreading and copyediting support for various communications projects and collateral
- Regularly providing timely updates across BCRF to key stakeholders in advance of promotion of key donors, corporate partners and researchers in BCRF channels (blog, social media, podcast)
Digital: Assist with maintenance of website, update copy for event pages and content as needed and requested, ensuring updated photo galleries for BCRF events and independent fundraisers by:
- Creating social media content pre-event and onsite using BCRF-appropriate narratives and story-telling
- Creating social media toolkits for event attendees and ambassadors
- Adding blog articles, including press releases and podcast updates to the website using the CMS tool
Brand Campaign: Assist in the creation of brand and storytelling campaigns by:
- Identifying influencers and others impacted by breast cancer for BCRF brand campaigns and other storytelling initiatives
- Supporting activities related to the production of BCRF brand campaigns, including participant outreach and cultivation, and photo shoots as needed
Plus, potential additional duties as the team seeks to achieve its ambitious goals.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- The massive – and very real – impact that we make every day;
- How to accelerate our work through our talented team; and
- How to operate within a successful not-for-profit that punches well above our weight.
This role coordinates and works with every member of the Communications team, serves as primary contact for cross-departmental requests from the Development & Events team and manages various agency partners and vendors.
The ideal candidate will have experience in client-facing roles and will be a self-starter with a strong work ethic, superb communication and organizational skills, and the ability to prioritize, problem-solve and multi-task under deadline.
People would describe the ideal candidate as extremely responsive, an enthusiastic consumer of all media (print, web, broadcast), passionate about mission-driven causes, a positive team player with the drive, ambition, know-how, and creativity necessary to help advance team efforts. They’d cite high energy personality, excellent judgment, and someone who can make things happen, and an ability to do administrative tasks well while managing on-going projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing, or related field
- 5-7 years of experience working in media relations at an agency or as in-house Communications for a company or non-profit organization
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong communications skills
- Thorough research and analytical skills
- Extremely detail-oriented with project management skills and experience
- Proficiency with PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe Creative Cloud
- Knowledge of working in Cision
- Experience working within a CMS
- Experience working on social media platforms and tools utilized for those platforms
Given this role, the incumbent must be able to deliver communications support at events taking place at night and occasionally on weekends (with advance notice); occasional travel required
Nice to haves:
- Agency experience, specifically with nonprofit clients and their major fundraising events
While performing the duties of this role, you would regularly work in an office setting.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk and hear.
This is a full-time position on our team.
Please note this role description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
If you’ve read this far, you’re likely a great fit for us…. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we’d love to hear about it in your cover letter.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary expectations by January 24, 2020 to:
using the following subject line: Senior Manager, COMMS: [your last name]
Please no phone calls.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
An edit test will be required of any candidates that are selected to advance during the interview process.
All inquiries will be held in confidence.
BCRF IS proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans.
The BCRF upholds an equal opportunity employment policy and employs personnel without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
This policy applies to all applicants, employees, consultants, third-party workers.
In addition, the BCRF will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements.