- Why Research
- Our Impact
- Get Involved
- About BCRF
- Research is the reason
- Contact Us
- The Hot Pink Party
You are here
Writer/Editor, Digital & Social
Location: New York, NY
The Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF) is dedicated to being the end of breast cancer by advancing the world's most promising research. Founded by Evelyn H. Lauder in 1993, BCRF-funded investigators have been deeply involved in every major breakthrough in breast cancer prevention, diagnosis, treatment, survivorship and metastasis.
This year, we invested $66 million in the work of 275 researchers in 14 countries. BCRF is the largest private funder of breast cancer research worldwide, and the highest-rated breast cancer organization in the U.S.
BCRF’s Writer/Editor, Digital & Social is the voice of BCRF across all digital and social media platforms.
She/he/they should be a compelling wordsmith with a journalist’s rigor and discernment, who is savvy enough with the soundbite world to develop rich storytelling and cleverly repackage it across all of BCRF’s short-form digital channels.
Reporting to the Managing Director, Digital, this role is responsible for content creation and execution across:
- BCRF’s website (bcrf.org)
- Social media
- PSA campaigns
- Email marketing communications (research news and fundraising appeals)
The Writer/Editor, Digital & Social is tasked with continuously improving the quality, quantity and performance of our content by monitoring and increasing engagement and using various analytic reporting tools. Expert copywriting and editorial skills are a must.
Candidates should be current on news and trends, energized to inspire donors, and extremely engaged in social media. Passion and/or experience in women’s health, journalism, digital media and fundraising would be a plus.
Develop and Execute a Digital Communications Strategy
- Stay current on, and have a deep understanding of, the communications landscape and how to address complex issues—from strategic communications planning and proactive messaging to reactive communications and crisis mitigation—across online platforms.
- Leverage data and analytics to provide regular reports that will enhance our understanding of BCRF social communities, to measure engagement, and to provide strategic recommendations.
- Develop and manage a pipeline of timely and relevant content across BCRF’s digital and social platforms—ensuring content and channels are aligned with the larger BCRF mission, tone, and strategy.
- Execute content across all social media platforms (e.g., Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn), including facilitating Instagram takeovers and hosting FB Live/Instagram Story events.
- Identify new opportunities for telling BCRF’s story by leveraging BCRF’s scientific advisory board and grantees, thought leaders, ambassadors and those impacted by breast cancer.
- Create and maintain site-wide editorial calendars and publishing cycles.
Increase Audience Engagement
- BCRF’s website (bcrf.org) and blog
- Maintain bcrf.org’s site content, ensuring accuracy and finding new ways to inspire supporters and donors, share scientific advancements, and reinforce our mission.
- Social media
- Leverage social media/digital efforts to clarify and build BCRF’s reputation globally to drive growth and deepened engagement of our audiences across all digital platforms.
- Report from scientific conferences and cover “Pink Carpet” fundraising events for BCRF’s blog and social channels.
- PSA campaigns
- Write story and PSA copy for BCRF’s storytelling campaign to profile people who are impacted by breast cancer.
- Craft and edit scripts for BCRF campaign videos and provide feedback in post-production.
- Email marketing communications (science newsletters and fundraising appeals)
- Work with BCRF’s Research Team to curate, create and edit blogs and emails related to BCRF-supported research, grantees and projects.
Contribute to Setting and Implementing BCRF’s Brand and Style
- Contribute to the creation and management of an organization-wide digital content style guide, including guidelines on tone, grammar, punctuation and organizational norms.
- Partner with colleagues across BCRF (Communications, Partnership Development, Special Events, Research) and work collaboratively to help achieve goals related to content strategy, writing, editing, and publishing.
- Work with internal and external creative partners to create social media assets, visual elements, and toolkits for use across BCRF and by corporate partners, fundraisers, supporters and ambassadors.
Additional responsibilities may arise as the team works together to achieve BCRF’s mission and goals.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- 5 to 7+ years’ experience working in journalism or digital media.
- Bachelor's degree with a major in English, Communications, Journalism, New Media (or a related field) a plus.
This role may be for you if you are:
- A thinker and a do-er
- A “digital thinker” with a proven track record of developing, curating and executing a variety of content across social media and online platforms, including text, photo, graphics and video
- A critical thinker accustomed to working and problem-solving thoughtfully in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with audience segmentation and ability to anticipate and target communications to a variety of audiences—general public, health and science sector, media, NGOs, etc.—online and offline
- A strong writer with:
- Superior copywriting and editorial skills
- Science and health writing experience (a BIG plus!)
- The ability to write and speak en Espanol is desirable but not required
Ideally, you will also bring:
- A genuine interest in the non-profit space, social activism, and women’s health
- Social media expertise with deep knowledge of current industry best practices
- A proactive, client-service approach to working collaboratively, and a genuine eagerness to grow professionally and personally
- Passion, positivity, and a desire to build community and help others
- Ability to use these tools of our trade:
- Adobe Creative Suite
- MailChimp (CRM)
- Sprout Social (Social Media Management/Analytics platform)
- Drupal (Vertical marketing CMS platform)
- Microsoft Office
Special note about this role:
- Given the nature of this particular role and the pre-planned calendar of conferences and events, the incumbent should expect to attend two four-day scientific conferences and our BCRF fundraising events. These may involve evening, overnight, or weekend time.
If interested, please send a tailored cover letter, resume, salary expectations, and relevant writing clips to:
Managing Director, Digital
BCRF offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package for the right candidate.
Candidates who share both why they’re a good fit and their salary expectations
are more likely to qualify.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please no phone calls.
All inquiries will be held in confidence.
BCRF IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED
TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION.