Our handy checklist will help you make sure your long-term planning is on track. Click here for a printable version.
- Consider the impact you would like to make through your philanthropy.
- Review your estate planning documents at least every 5 years, plus any time there is a birth, marriage, death, new tax law, or change in residence.
- Confirm that the executor named in your will is still the person or entity you want managing your estate.
- Ensure your beneficiaries are the ones you would like to help carry on your legacy.
- Make sure your power of attorney and health care proxy are current.
- Verify that your healthcare directive and living will reflect your wishes and that the person you name as your health care proxy will carry out those wishes.
- Ensure that the guardian named in your will is someone you are comfortable with caring for your dependents and make sure you have spoken to them ahead of time.